Wednesday, April 5, 2017


Emirgan Grove, Sarıyer - Istanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°06'28.7"N 29°03'12.9"E / 41.107971, 29.053590

Sari Pavilion / Emirgan, Sariyer - Istanbul photo sarikosk_emirgan124.jpg


The Yellow Pavilion (Turkish: Sarı Köşk) is a large wooden mansion in the form of a chalet built by Khedive Ismail Pasha between 1871-1878 as a hunting lodge and guest house. Situated in the center of the park and overlooking the Bosporus, the two-storey mansion with one balcony, one terrace and a basement is constructed on an area of 400 m2 (4,300 sq ft). It consists of four rooms, one hall and a kitchen in the lower floor and three rooms and one salon in the upper floor.

The Yellow Pavilion is built as a chalet and resembles a bird house. Its layout reflects the architecture of the traditional Ottoman house with a salon encircled by many living rooms. The Yellow pavilion is a large wooden mansion that is in the form of a chalet. It was used as a hunting lodge and guest house.

The ornaments at the ceilings and the walls were the work of the court architect Sarkis Balyan. The ceilings are enriched with oil painted flower figures and the facades with outstanding carvings. The high doors and windows, as well as the opulent interior decorations in bright colors reflect the glory of that era. A pond is situated to the northeast, next to the mansion. Ornaments based on flower patterns cover the ceiling while hand made ornaments outside give the building the outlook of a Turkish birdhouse.

The layout in which the sofa is central to the living place as a requirement of traditional living style has remained unchanged for years. The ceiling and wall ornaments in the buildings of Sarkis Balyan as well as big and high doors and windows, and brilliant and colorful carvings inside the pavilion all play an important role.

Sarı Pavilion consists of three rooms and one hall on the upper floor and four rooms, hall and kitchen at the basement. The pavilion was decorated to recall a birdhouse using the yellow color with white motifs. Wood work from the 17th and 19th centuries in Ottoman Empire has rendered a warmer atmosphere to the buildings. Walnut, apple, plane, lime, ebony, rose and oak tree materials were used.

Today, the park is owned b the Metropolitan Municipality of Istanbul and it covers an area of 117 acres on a hillside. The park is also enclosed by high walls. The park is a nature park although it has a manmade pond with a fountain, but that is just to enhance its beauty.

It also has two decorative ponds in total, and there are more than 120 species of plants that adorn the area. These have even been recorded, and some of the most recognised plants are the Blue Pine, Lebanon Cedar, Atlas Cedar, Norway Spruce, Eastern White Pine, Ash tree, and Maidenhair tree.

Used only by the owners from the very beginning, the pavilion was restored within four months in the beginning of the 1980s with due diligence, furnished with antiques and opened to the public as a cafeteria. The Yellow Pavilion, the main base of the park, is run since 1997 by Beltur, the tourism company of the Metropolitan Municipality of Istanbul.

Up to 100 guests can be served at the premise in summer and winter time. The pavilion offers a la carte service during weekdays and with breakfast in the morning and an open buffet with 55 kinds of food in the afternoons during the weekends.


WEB SITE : Beltur / Yellow Pavilion

E-Mail :
Phone : +90 212 413 9253 / +90 216 444 6644
Fax : +90 212 413 9474

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment